Tuesday 10 April 2012

Post-modernism & the Art of Music Appreciation: Hitam Putih Kehidupan


Sheila Majid is a pop singer from Malaysia who is well-known for delivering some awesome live vocal performances & for injecting a fair bit of fusion & jazz in her works. Keep in mind this was during the late 80s to 90s where melodramatic pop & sentimental rock ruled the airwaves of the Malay archipelago (it still does *shock*horror*).

The song I'm highlighting today is "Hitam Putih Kehidupan" which literally translates to "Life's Blacks & Whites"; a downtempo tune beseeching the listener to take each day as it comes, to appreciate the small mercies we are blessed with & to live life with humility & faith. So positive *flutters eyelids*


Biohazard: Brooklyn's answer to Sheila Majid?
If I remember correctly, hardcore band Biohazard shares the same sentiment in one of their well-known anthems: 

Life is just too short I realize that now
I'm gonna get my shit together and try to make it some how
Cause one thing that I have learned is that you only live once
So now I'll take life by the balls and squeeze until they crunch

- Biohazard "Urban Discipline" 1992

Painful isn't it? Okay it's not exactly the same but close enough.

But that's not the point here. The point here is about audience perception. 

When the phrase "Hitam Putih Kehidupan" is mentioned, most people think of this:

Sheila Majid: Malaysia's answer to Biohazard?


When I hear that phrase, I think of this:


Taoist mediums: putting corpsepaint-wearing black metallers to shame since forever.

Thank you God for blessing me with a different (albeit warped) point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment